Sunday, January 22, 2012

Introduction

Almost a year ago, I was morbidly obese.  My BMI was over 50 and I was FAT!  I knew my weight was a problem, but I felt helpless.  I just figured I was always going to be fat because being healthy and losing weight was such a daunting task.  I knew better than to set a New Year's resolution to lose the weight because I'd just break it, like I had done almost every year prior.  

I'd been telling myself for so long that I was going to lose the weight.  "I'll do it when I get my own place." I said (in 2006). I made some better choices, but not for long and my weight crept up.  "I'll lose it when I finish grad school" (in 2010 and another 30lbs later).  I graduated and moved - still didn't do anything about my weight.  We were living with family at the time and I said that I'd lose it once we got our own house - It'd be easier to cook.  I've always had some excuse.  There is always some reason that I just can't start dieting and losing the weight.

Then, mid-January of last year, the girls at my work were all trying to stick to their New Year's resolutions of eating healthy and losing weight.  I hadn't made that resolution because I knew I wasn't ready yet.  Well, they decided they were going to have a Biggest Loser competition amongst the girls in the office (about 7 of us) and I MUST participate.  After a lot of peer pressure, I reluctantly agreed.  We agreed on a February 1st start date.  That gave me time to prepare.  I still wasn't sure I was ready.  I hadn't bought my house yet and that was supposed to be the next milestone at which I would "try" to lose weight.  One of the girls had been doing weight watchers for a while and offered to give me her materials.  I looked over it and made my plan.

I started Weight Watchers on February 1, 2011 and haven't looked back!  The Biggest Loser challenge only lasted 3 months.  I didn't end up winning, but it was the push I needed.  It allowed me to see that my schedule wasn't too busy, I could do it while living with others who were not eating the same healthy food...I COULD DO IT!

My first (painful) weigh-in was 334.6lbs.  I knew it was up there.  It'd been over a year since the Wii Fit had told me I was too fat to play because the balance board couldn't support my weight (it has a limit of 330lbs).

I'm coming up on a year now and have almost reached my goal of losing 100lbs.  That's almost 1/3 of my starting weight!  It's over half-way to my goal of weighing 160lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment