Thursday, May 31, 2012

Running in the Morning

Well, I did it.  I got up early and ran in the morning.

Let me just start by saying that I am not a morning person at all!  This was a situation of picking the best of the worst.  Obviously, running in the blazing heat is not going to work this summer if it's already this brutal before June!  There were thunderstorms and pouring rain Tuesday evening, so I headed to the gym to do my 4 miles on the treadmill.  I'm pretty sure that was an even worse form of torture than running in the heat on the hills.  I can deal with the treadmill for short intervals, but running for 4 miles straight seemed like forever and I just wanted to run into the cinder block wall in front of the treadmill.  That left me with my last option - getting up early and doing my run before work.

I set my alarm for 6am half expecting to just roll over and say forget it.  After about 15 minutes of laying there debating with myself about whether I would get up and go or just do it tonight, I finally got out of bed (realizing I also wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep).  It was so nice and cool.  There were hardly any cars driving by!  The only downside is that I didn't eat before I left and I think that effected my performance - live and learn.

I am optimistic that I can make AM workouts a new habit!  It leaves so much free time in the evenings that I'm not even sure what to do with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment