Friday, March 2, 2012

Stress...

Back in September I took a new job and I just finally finished the training for it at the end of January, so I've officially been on the job for a little over a month.  I was expecting some stress, but between the actual demands of the job and trying to figure out what I'm really doing, I've been majorly stressed.

The funny thing about stress is that it makes us do crazy things.  Before, in times of stress, I'd turn to comfort food and ice cream - lots of ice cream.  I deserved that big bowl of ice cream after the stressful day I'd had - that was my logic.  I don't know what it is about stress that makes chocolate and pasta so appealing.  I know I'm not the only one who struggles with eating poorly when they are stressed.

This week has been extra stressful and my first thought all week when feeling stressed was more along the lines of "need to work out and burn off this stress" than "eat, eat, eat."  This is a HUGE change for me from where I was a year ago.  I know that working out will make me feel much better than eating a giant bowl of ice cream.  It's hard to still be stressed after working my butt off on the elliptical! It makes me so happy and proud when I have these little moments where I can really see my healthy lifestyle cementing itself in my life and my mind.  

I won't lie and tell you that I didn't indulge in a few pieces of chocolate this week...each day....  That pesky Valentine's candy still seems to be lingering around the office and I still give in to the temptation to grab a piece on my way past.  What can I say, I'm not perfect!  Baby steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment